Higher Education Service
Dr. Crutcher is a recognized leader in liberal arts education. He is the founding co-chair of the Liberal Education and America's Promise (LEAP) initiative of the Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U). LEAP focuses on educational excellence as well as high-impact practices and assessment of student ability to apply learning to complex problems and real-world challenges. Through LEAP, Dr. Crutcher has also engaged employers in conversations about the value of the liberal arts in preparing global citizens to lead and promote change in a complex world.
In addition to his leadership within AAC&U, Dr. Crutcher has served on the Board and the Executive Committee of the American Council on Education (ACE) and the Board of the Fulbright Association, and as Chair of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts. He has written widely on the value of liberal education and is a sought-after presenter and facilitator on the topic of the liberal arts and the democratic purposes and civic mission of higher education.
- Co-Chair of the National Leadership Council, Association of American Colleges and Universities’ LEAP (Liberal Education and America’s Promise) Campaign: 2006–
- Board of Directors, American Council on Education: 2007–10; Secretary: 2009–10; Chair of the Annual Meeting Committee: 2009
- Chair: Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts (AICUM): 2013–14
- National Advisory Council, The Cornish College of the Arts: April 2012–
- Posse Foundation National Board: 2006–
- Board of Trustees, Berklee College of Music: 2005–14
- Executive Committee, Council on Academic Affairs-National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges: 2001–04
- The Fulbright Association: 1998–2002
- Board of Trustees, Friends of the Cleveland School of the Arts (Cleveland, Ohio): 1991–94; Chair, Nominating Committee: 1991–93; Executive Committee: 1991–94: Chair, Music Department Advisory Committee: 1993–94